Saturday, August 11, 2012

Rest to my soul

I came across this scripture today, and it stuck with me today...

 Alma 37: 34 Teach them to never be weary of good works, but to be meek and lowly in heart; for such shall find arest to their souls.
It made me realize that God knows how hard it can be to do good works...He knows it is not easy!  Yet, the offer is rest to our souls...not our bodies, our souls.  As I faced a dirty kitchen tonight, getting home late after a wonderful time at a reception for an old, dear friend, and knowing that tomorrow is the Sabbath day, I had a split second debate.  I was tired, true, but I knew that I really wanted a day of rest, both for me and for my family.

So my tired body got to work, thinking about this scripture. 

Sometimes it is so hard, as a mom, as a wife, as a person to keep going, to do those seemingly small things that can make the difference of gladness in the lives of those we love.  Yet, His promise is a glorious one, blessing us where it really counts...rest to our souls.

Having done that small labor of love in my kitchen this night, with a vision of a more restful Sabbath before me, I feel rested in my soul.  Good, better, best--it is different for everyone, and, for me tonight, it wasn't to sit and read or rest,...it was to prepare my home for the Sabbath.  As I worked, going through those sometimes monotonous, unthinking motions that I have done so many times before, my mind pondered on wonderful things, and I feel rest in my soul.

(The blessings of work are many, and the activity of engaging in menial, repetitive labor allows our minds to ponder is one of those blessings: see life-changing article on Family Work in the BYU magazine Spring 2000 issue: Article on Family Work . There is also a great shorter version at the next link: Family Work quickie.)

No comments:

Post a Comment