Friday, January 4, 2013

The step into the darkness...

I am always amazed at how much our morning devotionals seem to really be for me...far more, it seems, than for my children.

Take this morning, for example...

We watched a little clip to go along with our faith month:

Elijah and the Widow of Zarepheth

I was touched that it was after the woman gave her last bit of oil and flour (beautifully done in this clip!), that the miracle happened.  It was so little to offer the prophet of the Lord, but it was all she had...the widow's mite.  She had to take that step into the darkness, that step of faith that was the choice between getting a little food for her and her son before they died of starvation, and watching with a desperate hope this stranger eat that bread, clinging to his promise that seemed so unbelievable...

It reminded me that what I have to offer is enough...in this beautiful little house in a place where I cannot speak but a little.  It reminded me of the story about the one-armed champion...that our one move is all we need, when it is all we have to offer.  So do I have the faith to keep acting?  Keep doing those little things that seem so small, and be content that it is enough?  Keep putting Papaya in time-out, hoping that someday she will learn; keep trying to be patient with a son that keeps arguing,...keep trying to find ways to be what he needs and what I need to be when the path looks so dark; keep cleaning, keep getting up in the morning, keep trying to learn a language that seems to be like a cloud of confusion in my mind.

Those baby steps seem so small, and yet so formidable when they seem to need to be repeated over and over again!

With these thoughts lingering on my mind, I went to attack the huge pile of laundry in the bathroom.  I brought in the laptop so I could listen to something while I worked (advice from a friend!).  Perusing quickly through the conferences, I was drawn to Elder Uchtdorf's talk at a women's meeting last year or the year before.  You really need to listen to it, hear his voice and have the spirit of truth touch you and to remind how valuable are those little things we can do, even if it feels like the last of our cruse of oil and bit of flour:

Awesome Uchtdorf talk

  It was my "time alone with God" today, as He reminded me, through the voice of His servant, of how much He loves me, how I need to be easier on myself, and how I need to find more delight in the small things...and keep taking those steps into the darkness...

No comments:

Post a Comment