Monday, October 17, 2016

How to become more free?

We are talking about "freedom" this month in our homeschool and learning how to be more free in our personal lives.  As I prayed about how I can personally become more free, I realized I have three very specific areas I need to work on:

-Forgiving others
-Seeking help to start overcoming my addiction to food as a source of comfort
-Freeing my children to be confident in their gender roles by being a better example of a joyful wife and mother to my children:
In two-parent families, the child needs acceptance by both parents to begin to establish gender security. In homes where the mother feels good about her role as a family builder, she will make the child feel well accepted. The mother and child are constant companions. Mother is a coach and tutor, involved in the numberless trials, errors, and successes of this developmental period. The father, on the other hand, comes home from his employment and tends to interrupt the routine. Often he interrupts with play, sometimes with duties, and on occasion with discipline. If he is a mature parent, he brings home with him encouragement and approval for what the mother and children have done that day; if immature, he brings tension.
Elder Harold B. Lee emphasized the importance of the mother and the need to help her be with her children:
“Keep the mother of your home at the ‘cross roads’ of the home. There is a great danger today of homes breaking down because of allurements to entice mothers to neglect their being at home as the family are coming or going from the home. Now I recognize the necessity of some mothers being required to earn sustenance for their family. I am recognizing that, but [we all] should take care lest [we] fail to lend all aid possible to permit the mother of small children to be with them, if possible, in planning the nature of work or the schedule of time” (“Woman’s Glorious Purpose,”Relief Society Magazine, Jan. 1968, pp. 12–13).
It is in this early stage of life [newborn-three], as the roles of male and female are acquired, that the foundation of sexual health is laid or sexual distress begins. By age three most children should have firmly accepted their identity as male or female. When family unhappiness has led them to feel unaccepted, they may become confused about their self-esteem and their gender role. Loving, consistent parenting helps children accept themselves and their gender identity during these three years. Unkind parenting can plant seeds of self-doubt and even confusion about the gender role. These seeds can germinate into personal problems in the following years unless parents change and show increased affection and acceptance. 
I saw an example of positive family relationships yesterday in church sitting behind a family where the wife is meek and submissive to her husband.  They love each other.  He is a good father, provider and protector.  He is confident in that role.  She is sweet and loving.  The children submit to the quick verbal rebuke of their father and feel safe. I am sure they have seen their mother supportive of him and submissive to his counsel.  While this may run counter at the surface to feminine strength movements, there is beauty in the peace and harmony of this family.  The wife is radiant and confident, yet knows she can rely upon her husband.  The husband is secure in his wife's love and support.  It reflects a state of heart that I desire to have.

I know these are God inspired goals. I know that I will not have conquered them by month's end (they may take a life-time or into eternity), but I am seeking to have the courage to identify these areas in my life and that I can improve today.  With God's grace, I have asked the question: please help me with these specific things" and I know He will answer now that I am ready to listen and truly identify what those answers are.  

Sometimes, you have to ask the right question to get the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment