Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Why bother writing?!

Write it down, Mary...now share it.

But what if no one is listening? I often ask.

It doesn't matter, comes the answer time and again.  Write.

Image result for image of fb likeI have struggled many times during the course of my "blogging" years to feel that my voice matters and that anyone is listening. I look sideways in moments (or months!) of self-doubt at others and their large "followings" or number of "facebook likes" and sigh.  "Does my voice matter?  Is it worth the time away from my family?"

When I read my friend was having similar struggles I was stunned!  Surely, with all the wisdom I had been gleaning from her over the years she wouldn't consider what she had to say of little worth!  But apparently, she was doubting.

It made me think.  Recently, she and I have been following on our own similar trails of discoveries of truth, of struggle, of heavenly lessons learned.  It has been almost uncanny how much her voice in her articles voice and reinforce my own struggles and lessons learned!  I have found comfort and companionship in her sharing.

I also had a friend text me about an article I wrote that let me know she was also dealing with similar issues to what I had voiced in my article and her text and her personal experience gave me strength, hope and fellowship.

How many times do we silence our voice, thinking no one is listening? That our words couldn't possibly matter?

I was struck by similar feelings found in one of the great Book of Mormon prophets, Nephi.  2 Nephi 33 took on new meaning as I read it this morning and had these thoughts on my mind:
 And now I, Nephi, cannot write all the things which were taught among my people; neither am I amighty in writing, like unto speaking; for when a man bspeaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children of men.
 But behold, there are many that aharden their bheartsagainst the cHoly Spirit, that it hath no place in them; wherefore, they cast many things away which are written and esteem them as things of naught. ("Is anyone listening to what I say and write?" I can almost hear Nephi say.)
 But I, Nephi, have written what I have written, and I esteem it as of great aworth, and especially unto my people...
 And I know that the Lord God will consecrate my prayers for the gain of my people. And the words which I have written in weakness will be made strong unto them...
11 ...and ye shall know that I have been commanded of him to write these things, notwithstanding my weakness. 
Who knows where or even when our audience is, whether we will change the face of nations or the fate of one person.  Is not the worth of one soul great?

Keep writing, my friends.  Keep sharing.  We are living parallel lives of growth, learning and experience and I know that if we open our mouths or unleash our pens, despite our weaknesses, that if we are doing it because God bids us and our intentions are pure, we will change lives and that it may just come back home to save ourselves. 

3 comments:

  1. Your writing has always touched my heart and gave me cause to think. Keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DON'T STOP. You always lift me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just for the record, I'm still here. I read every word you write. Sorry I don't comment very often. Your post titled "Are My Kids Innards Turning into Moldy Rice?" is the one that has resonated with me the most. I think I need to go re-read it.

    ReplyDelete