Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Enjoy the Moment

Last Saturday, I reluctantly attended a Stake RS program.  My friend came and picked me up (which helped me go), and she asked if I wouldn't mind playing the piano for the meeting for her, since she had had no opportunity to practice.  As I was sitting there, at the piano, wishing I could understand more, worrying about what wasn't getting done at home, worrying about what I wanted to work on for next week, thinking of how ridiculous my boots looked with the dress I was wearing, the thought popped into my head, "Enjoy the moment." 

I looked out the window across from the piano.  The day was beautiful. The street lovely.  The opportunity to play was wonderful.  I could enjoy the moment.

It made me think about Pres. Uchtdorf's address in the last conference, "Of Regrets and Resolutions" and this quote: "There is something in each day that can bring gratitude and joy if only we will see and appreciate it."

A moment is just a minute and a half, Q-dawg mentioned the other day, according to the answer of a Trivial Pursuit question :).  Since I have taken the time to enjoy the moment.  When I get stressed, angry, whiney, I stop.  I enjoy the moment.

We shouldn’t wait to be happy until we reach some future point, only to discover that happiness was already available—all the time! Life is not meant to be appreciated only in retrospect. “This is the day which the Lord hath made … ,” the Psalmist wrote. “Rejoice and be glad in it.” (ibid)

This morning, Avot had the following poem up for Vanguard from a blog where it was posted, and I thought it was perfect:

Then Laugh by Bertha Adams Backus



Build for yourself a strong box, 
fashion each part with care; 
When it’s strong as your hand can make it, 
put all your troubles there; 

Hide there all thought of your failures, 
and each bitter cup that you quaff; 
Lock all your heartaches within it, 
Then sit on the lid and laugh. 

Tell no one else its contents, 
Never its secrets share; 
When you’ve dropped in your care and worry
keep them forever there; 

Hide them from sight so completely
That the world will never dream half; 
Fasten the strongbox securely -
Then sit on the lid and laugh. 
 
 
To finish up this post, I thought President Uchtdorf's words before the first quote fit: Brothers and sisters, no matter our circumstances, no matter our challenges or trials, there is something in each day to embrace and cherish.

I have found this to be true.  You just have to choose to find it. :)

**********************************************
The rest of the section that I pulled the quotes from (completely wonderful...better to listen to the whole talk, of course, but here is some :)!):

 "I Wish I Had Let Myself Be Happier

Another regret of those who knew they were dying may be somewhat surprising. They wished they had let themselves be happier.
So often we get caught up in the illusion that there is something just beyond our reach that would bring us happiness: a better family situation, a better financial situation, or the end of a challenging trial.
The older we get, the more we look back and realize that external circumstances don’t really matter or determine our happiness.
We do matter. We determine our happiness.
You and I are ultimately in charge of our own happiness.
My wife, Harriet, and I love riding our bicycles. It is wonderful to get out and enjoy the beauties of nature. We have certain routes we like to bike, but we don’t pay too much attention to how far we go or how fast we travel in comparison with other riders.
However, occasionally I think we should be a bit more competitive. I even think we could get a better time or ride at a higher speed if only we pushed ourselves a little more. And then sometimes I even make the big mistake of mentioning this idea to my wonderful wife.
Her typical reaction to my suggestions of this nature is always very kind, very clear, and very direct. She smiles and says, “Dieter, it’s not a race; it’s a journey. Enjoy the moment.”
How right she is!
Sometimes in life we become so focused on the finish line that we fail to find joy in the journey. I don’t go cycling with my wife because I’m excited about finishing. I go because the experience of being with her is sweet and enjoyable.
Doesn’t it seem foolish to spoil sweet and joyful experiences because we are constantly anticipating the moment when they will end?
Do we listen to beautiful music waiting for the final note to fade before we allow ourselves to truly enjoy it? No. We listen and connect to the variations of melody, rhythm, and harmony throughout the composition.
Do we say our prayers with only the “amen” or the end in mind? Of course not. We pray to be close to our Heavenly Father, to receive His Spirit and feel His love.
We shouldn’t wait to be happy until we reach some future point, only to discover that happiness was already available—all the time! Life is not meant to be appreciated only in retrospect. “This is the day which the Lord hath made … ,” the Psalmist wrote. “Rejoice and be glad in it.”6
Brothers and sisters, no matter our circumstances, no matter our challenges or trials, there is something in each day to embrace and cherish. There is something in each day that can bring gratitude and joy if only we will see and appreciate it."
 

2 comments:

  1. So needed this today! I will be printing up a few of these quotes to put around the house as a reminder!! Thank you so much for always sharing your thoughts and insights with us!! Love and miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to share things that make me happy, hoping others can enjoy as well :). Love you! Hugs!

      Delete