Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The power of rules based upon truth

As I walked to the store with Papaya in the stroller, we prepared to cross a street when a car came zooming across our path, driving mere inches away from the two of us.  Startled by the apparent thoughtlessness of this driver's recklessness, it set me thinking about several situations I have had here in Hungary where people are just, well, rude.

I know rudeness happens everywhere, but it seems like there are consistent ways where people here seem to push the line of decency.  Rather than go into specifics because I am limited in my time right now, I wanted to record some of my thoughts and "wonderings."

For years, these people have been repressed in a system rigid with numerous rules: some logical and for the good of the people, but many merely whimsical...because the people in charge could make those rules--rules that were not based upon principles; rules that were made to ensure control.  I wonder if, feeling stunted and repressed under the weight of so many rules not based upon truth, they began to fight against all rules, whether they were good rules or not.

I have already shared how our doctor said something like: "We in Hungary believe in rules, but believe they only apply to everyone else."

Perhaps, in their effort to fight against that kind of control, they now seek freedom from even the unwritten, unspoken rules of decency?

Can that happen in a home, where rules are administered on the whim of the parent, and not upon principles of truth?  Can a child or youth, born with their own ability to recognize true principles, recognize the fallacy of "rules for power" and in turn start fighting against all the rules of the home, both those that are good and true and those that are not?

You know, like those dogs that are trained to fight? They are pestered, driven, and badgered so much that they soon just lash out at everything?

Can a people be driven to that point?

I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment