Wednesday, March 27, 2013

For the want of a Nail...

There is a legend about a battle in medieval England in which a king loses a battle because someone didn't take the time to hammer in that last little nail:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/realityzone/smythie.gifFor want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.







We must never underestimate the power of our contribution, of our lives, in the causes around us: the cause of liberty, the cause of family, the cause of righteousness!
  
The thing that God has told me recently to do, my little nail, as it were, is to focus on "doing what we're already doing" at home so that my children can go out to impact the world.  It was a pretty direct statement from the mouth of my exclusively Hungarian-speaking, "no idea what we are doing in our home" branch president in the blessing he gave me, setting me apart as a nursery leader.

Never underestimate the importance of being set apart! :)  I am so grateful that my husband took the time to write down as much as he could as the blessing was given.  To be able to more fully focus on the tasks on hand, not worrying what I am not doing or what else I could be doing, knowing this is my nail to work on, has been freeing and empowering, and given more weight and import to what I am already doing.

Maybe your current nail is inspiring, learning from and teaching others in church callings, family relationships, or community positions, who will go out and change the world...





Maybe it is supporting someone else who is struggling to hammer in their own nail...

Maybe it is nurturing your family so they have the confidence and love to go forward and hammer their nails in where they need to.

Sometimes that nail is something we are already doing.  But, if it is an important "something else" (as those "nails" sometimes are), and we are daily asking God what He would have us do with our day, our week, or our lives, we will know it.  It will be that little thing that is nagging us that we just need to do.  He is the general.  He is omniscient.  And He will win.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment