Thursday, June 23, 2016

Family History Procrastinated Project

I have been putting this off. I need to write...and just write.

I have had so many things that God has given me to learn lately:

-Trust
-Obey
-Write
-Share
-Stop
-Savor

I have seen how he blesses me with the fruits of obedience. The way he can enlarge my capacity and my day is incredible.

Things I have learned lately:
-I need to love my children when they need it and then trust and do God's work when He needs me to...and let them go.  He will help me balance it and provide the nurturing (often through each other) that they need.
-I need to only go online if I have a specific focus...and I need to stick with that focus.
-I finally did the first step of my family history project that God told me to do:

You can see that I accidentally didn't review what pictures I had printed up before ordering them....and got one with just Quinn's dad and not his mom!  Argh. I have already started sketching one of the two of them to match the one of my parents on the other side.
Anyway, the vision of this arrangement came when I had prayed several years ago (before Hungary) what I should do for family history.  This was the answer.  For the last several years I have doubted and put off this project: aesthetically, ostentations---ly...you name it. It just seemed wrong.  Nice one, Martin Harris.  No. The right answer is just obey.

So I finally did.  As I started getting them out and putting them in frames (I printed them up a few years ago), my kids were drawn to them.  They even helped with the sticky note labels to make sure we know who is who! (Pattern: second generation back- husbands above and women "tucked below their heart" beneath; third generation back-men's parents above immediately to the side, women's parents below immediately to the side.)

To see the family faces and similarities between them and ourselves has been fun.  Next step is to get stories printed up for each one (and see if I can get those last few missing pictures) and put them behind inside the box frame.  Now the kids will know who we are referring to...and more.  There is something special about this project, although Liliputian teases me about this being our "staring room" now. (We have our family pics on the other side.)

It is as if I hear their voices saying: learn more about us.  Listen.  Learn.  inow we love you.  We are real. We are part of who you are.  It is really something else.

I don't share this because I think anyone else should do their family history this way.  I just share it to show how unique our paths to family history can be and to trust that God knows the best one for us.

And I share it to encourage whoever needs it that it is never too late to start those projects the Lord has for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment