Thursday, June 30, 2016

Prayers and Acting

Okay, so I posted a cool quote on facebook the other day that I LOVE:

"If gospel standards seem high and the personal improvement needed in the days ahead seems out of reach, remember Joshua’s encouragement to his people when they faced a daunting future. “Sanctify yourselves,” he said, “for to morrow the Lord will do wonders among you."" --Jeffrey Holland, 4/16
I then felt prompted to add:
Image result for image of woman praying
I know that if we drop to our knees and pray about what God would have us do right at this moment, we will be given something that is within our capacity to do. It may require a little soul-bending and humility, but it will be do-able if we move forward in faith.
And God will truly do wonders among us.




I don't share things here or on facebook because I "have it made" or because I have mastered what I am sharing. On the contrary, I don't share anything unless I am discovering or working or failing at that particular truth and need the encouragement and reminder...and feel maybe someone else can benefit from my learning.

It's kind of like bearing your testimony or teaching a lesson: you learn more than you teach from sharing.  And just like when you bear your testimony and are tested on that principle later that week, sharing like this works the same way.

Case in point:

This morning, I was feeling overwhelmed with all I wanted to do or felt like I should do. I remembered the quote and what I felt prompted to write after it.

"Okay," I told myself. "Time to act."

So I said a quick prayer, got an immediate impression, and then...

...I started worrying and musing about how I would fit that in with all the other things I "already had going."

Then I stopped.  Shoot.
Image result for image of joan of arc
Heavenly awkward silence.

Wow, I thought. I really need to do better at this trust thing :)!

I could just see Heavenly Father up there, smilingly shaking His head as once again I took His prompting of the best and highest immediate good and tried to "fit it in" with all the good that I wanted to do.  Once again...and again and again.

Good thing Joan of Arc didn't act that way, or the history of France may have just been a little different.  "I'll go and find the king after I get my self-help list done, God.  I will work it in...don't worry!"

Time to keep learning!



2 comments:

  1. The more you follow those promptings the more you trust and get addicted to doing them for the spiritual rush you receive.

    ReplyDelete