Thursday, December 22, 2011

Scripture reading = Power

The song “Scripture Power” is going through my head right now: “Scripture power keeps me safe from sin; Scripture Power is the power to win…” or something like that.  The other day I didn’t read any scriptures…we didn’t have family reading time, I didn’t do a quick glance into it, didn’t even read the Ensign!  And, boy, did I have a rotten day!  Nothing outside happened, really…in fact, everyone else was wonderful, which at times seemed 10 times worse when I had no excuse for my rotten attitude!  I was grumpy, surly, hyper-sensitive…you name it!  Of course, I have those days often enough, but normally it feels a little, ummmm…tempered, I guess?  I have the Spirit whispering, “Oh, you just blew it J…” and things like that, guiding me, and I feel like Heavenly Father is catching me the many times I fall.  However, that day felt…different.  I could feel a big contrast, and, when trying to put my finger on the difference, realized it was because I hadn’t read my scriptures! It struck me that I have taken the power it gives me for granted.  I had always heard and said, “Oh yes!  It makes a difference when I read my scriptures..”; however, at that point, reflecting on my day the next day, I knew it.  It also seems to be my womanly time for grumpiness (excuse? I think not J…), the time when I feel lonely, self-pitying, and irritable.  However, not having that spiritual buffer that day helped me realize how much it makes a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment